Insure a car for two days image
Click here for a quote now*

How to buy car insurance for 2 days.

Two day car insurance, for most UK motorists or visitors to the UK, is easy to buy provided that they have their driving licence details available, as well as the registration number of the vehicle to be insured. You can apply for insurance on a car that you have borrowed (not hired), as well as a vehicle you own yourself. Quotes take less than a minute and there is a lowest price guarantee!

What can it be used for?
  • Borrowing a car from a friend
  • Lending your car to someone else
  • Kids home from college and want to drive!
  • Your own car being serviced
  • Shared driving on a long journey
  • Test driving a car
  • Driving a new car home
  • Taking over as driver at short notice
  • Etc, etc, etc ........

What are the advantages?
  • Staying within the law
  • Keeping the car's owner within the law
  • Protective the value of the car you're driving
  • Protecting your main no claims bonus
  • Freedom to drive another car at any time
  • Taking out a special car on a special occasion
  • Flexibility over which car to drive
  • Peace of mind
  • Etc, etc, etc ........

What are the disadvantages?

Whilst short-term cover is competitively priced it costs more per day than a standard yearly policy, in the same way that a small packet of anything will cost more per gram than a sackful. It is not, therefore a substitute for a yearly policy, but used in the right way it could still be very economical, and certainly cheaper than an accident whilst uninsured or a criminal prosecution.

Benefits may be fewer than with a conventional policy

There are terms and conditions in every insurance policy, not just short term ones, and you should check on these before buying any insurance. For example, a courtesy car in the event of an accident would be unlikely to be offered (unless you took out extra cover) and most temporary policies have a maximum payout of about £45,000 for damage to the car you are driving, if the accident was your fault. That should cover most family cars but would it completely pay for your Bentley or Lamborghini?

You may already be insured!

Many motorists have some cover for driving a vehilcle that is not owned by them or hired under a hire purchase agreement. This is almost invariably third party only insurance however. This means that in the event of an accident that was your fault you would be liable for the full cost of any damage to the car you were driving. There are often restrictions too, such as a maximum engine size or a ban on cars owned by close family members so it would be as well to check your policy documents carefully before relying on this.

It is worth remembering that if you lend a car to someone who drives it whilst uninsured you would also risk prosecution for permitting this to happen. The opposite would also happen if you drove a friend's car without insurance. Driving without insurance is what is called an 'absolute offence'; in other words, you are either guilty or not. It is no defence against conviction if you thought or truly believed that you, or the driver of your car, was insured; the onus is on the driver and vehicle owner to be absolutely certain. So, check the documentation carefully and if there is any doubt a short term policy will give you peace of mind - and could save the driving licences of both of you.

How does a driver qualify for a policy?

Car qualifications

The car you wish to insure could be your own or a borrowed (not hired) one. Every insurer has a list of cars that can be covered and if the vehicle you want to insure is not on the list then you would need to look elsewhere; but it only takes a very short time to get a quote and find out. Generally speaking it should:

  • Be originally registered, and kept, in the UK;
  • Have no more than seven seats, including the driver's;
  • Be right hand drive, and unmodified (except to accomodate a disabled driver or passenger(s)
  • Be taxed, MOT'd and fully roadworthy
  • If it is a borrowed car, you must have the owner's permission to drive it.

Driver qualifications

Again, like any other insurance policy different underwriters have different requirements and whether or not a motorist would be accepted would depend on multiple factors including age, postcode, driving experience, accident or conviction record (if any). However you would normally need to be between 19 and 75, with a reasonable driving record.

What type of driving licence would I need?

You'd need a full licence that you had held for at least a year. UK licences are OK of course but, also, licenses issued in the EU, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa and Zimbabwe can usually be accepted too.

How do I buy a policy?

First of all, get an online quote. The form is quite easy and should take less than a minute to fill in. If that is satisfactory you can arrange your policy straight away and for that you'll need your driving licence details and the registration number of the car you want to insure. Decide on when you want the policy to start; it can begin at any time of day or night and you get a full 48 hours of cover. You can arrange for it to commence immediately or at any time within the following 30 days.

Once you have paid by credit card the important documents will be made available for you to download. You are not under any obligation to do this but it is a good idea to carry proof of your insurance with you since the Motor Insurance Database (a record of every car insurance policy in the UK, which police officers query hundreds of times a day) may not be updated before the insurance had expired, which could be a problem if you were stopped during a routine trawl for uninsured drivers. At the very least you should keep a copy of the confirmatory email on your mobile phone if you are not able to print the documents.

So, why not go ahead and buy a 2 days car insurance policy now.

Click here for a quote now*